assume, assert, enforce, @safe

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 18 09:05:31 PDT 2014

On 01/08/2014 05:12, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 2:21 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Thoughts?
>
> If a process detects a logic error, then that process is in an invalid
> state that is unanticipated and unknown to the developer. The only
> correct solution is to halt that process, and all processes that share
> memory with it.
>
> Anything less is based on faith and hope. If it is medical, flight
> control, or banking software, I submit that operating on faith and hope
> is not acceptable.
>
> If it's a dvr or game, who cares :-) My dvr crashes regularly needing a
> power off reboot.

"If it's a game, who cares" -> Oh let's see... let's say I'm playing a
game, and then there's a bug (which happens often). What would I prefer
to happen:

* a small (or big) visual glitch, like pixels out of place, corrupted
textures, or 3D model of an object becoming deformed, or the physics of
some object behaving erratically, or some broken animation.

* the whole game crashes, and I lose all my progress?

So Walter, which one do you think I prefer? Me, and the rest of the
million gamers out there?

So yeah, we care, and we are the consumers of an industry worth more
than the movie industry. As a software developer, to dismiss these
concerns is silly and unprofessional.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros