Dependency management in D

Scott Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 18 09:48:21 PDT 2014

Im running some tests with D. Was wondering whats the dependency
story. Cant find any info online, searched for dlang dependency
management and dlang dependency. Found bunch o dub stuff but not
the nitty gritty.

Unit of compilation is one D file but I saw if I pass several D
files to the compiler only one .o file is generated. Whats the
story there.

Plus if I change a non template function in one module then
theres no way to tell make no rebuild of modules importing it.
The dmd -deps call seems to generate all recursively. In
gcc/makedepend if one function changes only relinking is needed
or nothing if dynamic loading.

Overall as far as I understand compiler is fast but dependency
mgmt is coarse. Also whats the deal with cyclic dependencies. I
saw discussion that its not possible but wrote a few test modules
and it works fine.

Am I grokking this and how can I help it thanx.