Using D

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 18 11:42:23 PDT 2014

Am 18.09.2014 17:44, schrieb Bruno Medeiros:
> On 06/09/2014 01:50, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> Why pick Java if not for JVM? It is mediocre language at most, very
>>> limited and poor feature-wise, lacking expressive power even compared to
>>> C++ (you can at least abuse templates in the latter). JVM, however, may
>>> be the best VM environment implementation out there and that can be
>>> useful.
>>
>> Enterprise answer:
>>
>> - lots of libraries to chose from;
>> - lots of easy to find (replacable) programmers;
>>
>> --
>> Paulo
>
> Also, superior development-time tools: IDEs, debuggers. (the debugging
> support could be considered part of the JVM though, depending on how you
> look at it.)
>
> Also, me and a lot others don't agree Java is a mediocre language. It is
> basic language, yes. But a lot of good software can be written
> comfortably with just a basic language.
> C++ is more *powerful* than Java, but it doesn't mean its better. I
> would rather be programming in Java over C++, any time.

I do like it, started playing with it around 1996 while at the
university and our teachers made it right away the language for
distributed systems (remember Jini?), software architecture and compiler
design lectures (JavaCC ruled any day over yacc).

My employer very seldom does C++, mainly JVM and .NET since that is what
our enterprise customers ask us to do.

However, thanks to Oracle disregard for the mobile space and the way
Google tried to avoid paying for licenses, I am now forced to use C++
for portable native code across devices for hobby coding.

Looking to see if Java One will bring any update on this regard as
Oracle's current proposal of JSF on the server side for mobile
development is a joke for any native developer.

--
Paulo