Now, a critic of Stroustrup's choices

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 18 11:49:45 PDT 2014

Am 18.09.2014 20:10, schrieb "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>":
> On Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 09:16:39 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
>> These issues are touched in the book if I remember correctly.
>
> Yeah, but I don't have it and hoped you would give me some juicy quotes :).

The book is a few thousand kilometres from my current location. So no
chance.

>> Quite a few C++ design decisions came from the requirement to fit 1:1
>> with C toolchains.
>
> Isn't it funny (or sad) though how the IT sector keeps being bogged down
> by clogged backwards compatibility issues going all the way back to the
> 60s and 70s?

Yes, which is why incremental changes tend to win over disruptive ones.

Then we also have certain technologies that become mainstream and
destroy better ones (e.g. C).

All the efforts the programming communities that care about safety now
have to spend promoting languages like D to fix the security issues
created by it. When more safer languages were already available at the
time UNIX spread out of university labs.

--
Paulo