Dependency management in D

Scott Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 18 18:42:58 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 17:04:43 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:48:21 +0000
> Scott Wilson via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Plus if I change a non template function in one module then
>> theres no way to tell make no rebuild of modules importing it.
>> The dmd -deps call seems to generate all recursively. In
>> gcc/makedepend if one function changes only relinking is needed
>> or nothing if dynamic loading.
> there is no way to tell what exactly was changed. this can be
> some
> template, for example, and with changed template all modules
> that import
> that one with template must be recompiled to accomodate new
> version. or
> think about CTFE.

Thanks fellas. But whats the thing with .di files? AFAIU the
compiler generates them and dependent modules can depend on them
instead of .d files directly.

Do .di files contain only templates (no comments and plain
functions? How well do they work? thanx