assume, assert, enforce, @safe

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 00:50:45 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 16:55:33 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 07:13:48PM +0300, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:05:31 +0100
>> Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > * a small (or big) visual glitch, like pixels out of place,
>> > corrupted textures, or 3D model of an object becoming
>> > deformed, or
>> > the physics of some object behaving erratically, or some
>> > broken
>> > animation.
>> or the whole game renders itself unbeatable due to some
>> correpted
>> data, but you have no way to know it until you made it to the
>> Final
>> Boss and can never win that fight. ah, so charming!
>
> Exactly!!!!
>
> Seriously, this philosophy of ignoring supposedly "minor" bugs
> in
> software is what led to the sad state of software today, where
> nothing
> is reliable and people have come to expect that software will
> inevitably
> crash, and that needing to reboot an OS every now and then just
> to keep
> things working is acceptable. Yet, strangely enough, people
> will scream
> bloody murder if a car behaved like that.

Fully agree. I support the idea that software companies should be
accountable by their products the same way as other industries.

Just like when you buy a car the car dealer will be accountable
for any defect.

Sure it will make software development a bit more expensive, but
it will also end with a lot of cowboy programming, updates that
only work in full moon, ...

--
Paulo