Using D

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 04:34:22 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 22:24:14 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 15:48:46 UTC, Bruno Medeiros
> wrote:
>> On 05/09/2014 14:42, Chris wrote:
>>> A jar can only be used by another Java program. Making a Java
>>> program
>>> accessible to 3rd party software via a DLL is not so simple,
>>> and the JVM
>>> has to be up and running all the time. Java is cross-platform
>>> as long as
>>> you stay within the safe and cosy Java bubble that floats on
>>> top of the
>>> JVM. But once you step outside of the JVM, gravity kicks in.
>>
>> Exactly. But the promise of "Write once run everywhere" had
>> always been if you stayed within the confines of Java/JVM.
>> There was never a promise, or implication, that it would
>> cross-platform once you started mixing in with foreign code.
>
> Write once, debug everywhere is more accurate.

That's exactly my experience. It is inevitable that when you
write a real program (not some Java tutorial shite) you will have
to communicate in some way with the underlying OS. And that's
when you have to leave the JVM, which is like entering a jungle
full of wild animals after getting up from your cosy middle class
armchair.

> Still prefers coding in java rather than C++ .

I jumped from Java and Objective-C to D (well, there were other
languages, but none of them would do). And as Dicebot said, the
modelling power of D is just amazing. Every time I code and
recode I'm surprised at what you can do in D. Java wouldn't allow
you to do all those things without numerous hacks. It keeps you
in a straight jacket (which is why the industry loves it, nobody
steps out of line, well defined rules, no place for mad hackers
and other geniuses, keep the salaries low, a dime a dozen, but I
degress as usual).