Dependency management in D

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 12:53:39 PDT 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:30:21 +0000
Cliff via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> In a sense I sympathize with your antipath toward enterprises,
> but the simple fact is they have a lot of money and command a lot
> of developers.  For us, developers = mind share = more libraries
> for us to use and more ideas to go around.  That's all goodness.
> Leverage it for what it's worth.
and what enterprise don't like is sharing. ah, sorry, i'm wrong, they
really LOVE sharing. but under "sharing" they understand "you giving us
everything we want and we telling you to GTFO".

> I'm definitely a fan of finding ways to improve build speeds that
> don't involve the creation of unnecessary (or worse, redundant)
> and user maintained artifacts.  I'm also a fan of simplifying the
> build process so that we don't have to have experts maintain
> build scripts.
actually, with introducing ".dpu"s (heh, it's "D parsed/prepared unit")
d compiler can be used as build tool, just like delphi compiler. and it
will be lightning fast, especially if we will keep generated .o files
along with .dpu files. we can even generate some kind of bytecode for
CTFE (but i'm not sure if it really worth the efforts).

i like fast build times too, but there are alot of work involved and i
don't see the urgent need in this feature. but any enterprise guy who
needs it is free to hire me. my salary will not be that big if they'll
take into account how much money and time they will save with my
work. ;-)