[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

po via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 19:25:30 PDT 2014

  He actually talks about Andre around 40' ;0

As a fellow game dev:

I don't agree with him about RAII, I find it useful

He kind of has a point about exceptions, I'm not big on them

I get the impression his C++ knowledge is about the level of C++
with classes, ie very low.

He claims using std:: inherently causes slow compilation, my
experience says otherwise.

He goes on about "freeing free'd memory", this is never something
that would happen in modern C++, so he is basically proposing an
inferior language design.

  At one point he says you can't see the contents of std::vector
in a debugger. What? This is trivial and has worked in every
version of Visual Studio for the last 5+ years.

  I do agree the build systems used with C++ are idiotic

IMO, C++'s complexity is largely because of the stupid headers
and all the mind numbing crap associated with it. That and the
lack of any reflection.