RFC: reference counted Throwable

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 19:26:22 PDT 2014

On 9/19/2014 7:04 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 September 2014 at 01:19:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Having a compiler switch to change the behavior of every module in
>> incompatible ways would be a disastrous balkanization.
>
> Don't -version, -debug etc. have this problem anyway?

I submit that it is a poor practice to write code that way.

> Anyway, if you change the name mangling, then you'll get link errors instead of
> mysterious crashes.
>
>> It has to be done in such a way that the ARC and the existing exceptions can
>> coexist.
>
> How?

Good question. It's a challenge. But it has to be done, or D will divide in half
and both halves will fail.

We've had this discussion numerous times before - "throw the magic compiler
switch" and D becomes an ARC system and everything is wonderful. It cannot work.
ARC and GC are not equivalent.