RFC: reference counted Throwable

Daniel N via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 20:45:16 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 20 September 2014 at 03:25:39 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/19/2014 8:13 PM, Daniel N wrote:
>> What does the GC bring to exceptions that makes it
>> sufficiently invaluable to
>> warrant two parallel implementations? It can't be about
>> performance, since
>> _thrown_ exceptions are already in the slow path... Backwards
>> compatibility?
>
> Backwards compatibility.

Thanks!

As much as I applaud our efforts for Backwards compatibility, it
only affects code which already has been written, whereas a
switch would affect "all" code that will be written, imho the
burden both on library and app devs would be less if we simply
redefined Throwable.