[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 19 22:34:32 PDT 2014

OK so I'm 1h in now. The guy is explaining slices in a languages
that look like C or C++. But discarded D at the beginning because
it is too close to C/C++.

Also I love how he keeps mentioning that adding debug support is
easy.

His ! stuff looks interesting, but I guess this is already being
discussed in D with uniqueness.

I also love the passage where he mention that you have strings
everywhere, and you duplicate them and so on, and that you can a
system to unique them and manage memory, but that would be crazy
complicated. The obvious question that come to mind: what does he
think a compiler does ?

OK now using pointer and value type via dot.

1h20 he is on nullable vs non nullable. According to him this is
not an issue, but stats say otherwise. Still want to look into
it. Not sure what is his point on that one.

He then goes on concurrency and make some very good points here
but he doesn't look like he has anything to propose :(

1h25 annotate, serialize, introspect.

1h25 good point about build. All build system I've used so far
sucks. But no solution.

At the end, I kind of agree on the problems, but the solution he
mention already exists, and when they do not (or I think they do
not) he don't have anything to propose.

1h30 now he is talking about CTFE and code generation...

What I take out of this, is that something like unique/isolated
or whatever is key, and the memory mapping optimization is nice
but probably realizable in D using code generation. But creating
a new language instead of participating in existing ones seem
very misguided and he does seems to realize how hard it is to
create a language.