What are the worst parts of D?

K.K. via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 20 09:37:36 PDT 2014

I watched Jonathan's talk last night, it was really good. I
really like the idea that he wants to make a community designed,
platform independent, game specific language. It's too bad he
doesn't really want to give D more of chance but for what he's
looking for, it'd really need to be designed from the ground up,
as he was saying. Also being that he's slowly rejecting C++, then
I can see D not making sense since D's slogan is pretty much "A
better C++!"; which is accurate but may not be the best marketing
scheme. Also D is a general purpose language, so I guess it
really wouldn't fit his bill.
Though he mentioned Go and Rust a lot, personally I wouldn't
really back those languages either, at least not for games. Rust
maybe if it ever hits version 1.0 I'll take another look at it.
I'm definitely all for the setup he was describing though: all
you need is an IDE/text editor and the compiler. I feel like D
definitely has the potential to be able to meet that setup
someday; I'm just not sure if that setup would be a screw over or
not to people of other fields. The platform independent thing
would be a HUGE plus! Something D isn't too, too far from, but
definitely not there at least of yet.

Overall I'd say D has some significant issues:

- The documentation is awful. If there's a problem you don't know
the answer to, the only three real options are pray that the docs
are correct/up to date, go ask someone who possibly does know, or
magic.

- Bugs. D is like Costco, expect for bugs, and all the bugs are
free.

- More of a suggestion than a problem: Someone needs to do an
O'reilly book series for D; but only after the first two problems
I listed are at least suppressed a bit.

- Very few native D libraries, and also for C/other libraries
almost all D bindings are maintained by usually only one person.
Usually very skilled people, but the work load for library
development and maintenance would probably thrive best with more
people doing more. (The community is probably just too small at
the moment)

....I'm sure there was more, but it's just not coming to me at
the moment.
   I'm definitely interested in Jon's theoretical language but I
don't think it's gonna take away from D for me.

Overall though, I absolutely love D! There's just ALOT of work to
be done. :)