Identifier resolution, the great implementation defined mess.

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 21 05:55:47 PDT 2014

On 09/21/2014 07:29 AM, deadalnix wrote:

> Free goodie: when you import, all symbol are resolved via the expected
> import resolution mechanism. All ? No, the root package is imported in
> the local scope.
>
> foo(int a) {
>    import a.b.c;
>    // a is now a package and not the parameter a anymore.
> }

For local imports, DMD imports _all_ symbols into the local scope,
shadowing anything that was there, which is plain broken (as SÓ§nke's
example shows). BTW: how do you suggest to treat the root package? I
think importing into the local scope is fine, but the above example
should emit an error because the parameter and the package conflict.

(The following code does not compile either:
int std;
import std.conv;)