Library Typedefs are fundamentally broken

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 21 10:56:48 PDT 2014

Am Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:04:39 -0700
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> Why would anyone hope a valid idiom were not mentioned?

It's just what people do when an argument would be
detrimental to their own position in an argument. :p
Look, I don't feel strongly about it. Just, from an objective
point of view, aliases and templates in their current form are
no good candidates to implement strongly typed typedefs. The
semantics are too different. A proxy struct for example
does more cleanly define a new symbol and type with normal
lookup rules. But let's not waste our energy on this now.
It is after all a convenience feature, not an enabler like
shared libraries, ARC or standard logging facilities.

--
Marco