Library Typedefs are fundamentally broken

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 21 16:47:54 PDT 2014

> My perception of this thread is that there's an abundance of that misleading vividness
> fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_vividness). Rhetoric techniques blow
> the most trivial matters out of proportion and build to the foaming co(ncl|f)usion
> that "less convenient than a baked-in facility" really means "unusable".
> I don't care for that kind of argument.

Make sure to not fall prey to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy though.

> I don't mind the capitalization, ad hominem, etc. The arguments against
> Typedef are honestly terrible (by all participants), ...

Some participants have pointed out (some more vivdly than others) that
it is less convenient and less sane than a trivial library alternative
using e.g. template mixins. There's currently simply too much incentive
to roll one's own that does the job better if the functionality is at
all required. That's not a "terrible" argument.