Escaping the Tyranny of the GC: std.rcstring, first blood

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 22 20:03:38 PDT 2014

On 16 September 2014 00:51, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 9/15/14, 3:30 AM, bearophile wrote:
>
>> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>
>>  Walter, Brad, myself, and a couple of others have had a couple of
>>> quite exciting ideas regarding code that is configurable to use the GC
>>> or alternate resource management strategies.
>>>

>> An alternative design solution is to follow the Java way, leave the D
>> strings as they are, and avoid to make a mess of user D code. Java GC
>> and runtime contain numerous optimizations for the management of
>> strings, like the recently introduced string de-duplication at run-time:
>>
>> https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2014/08/string-deduplication-new-feature-
>> java-8-update-20-2
>>

> Again, it's become obvious that a category of users will simply refuse to
> use a GC, either for the right or the wrong reasons. We must make D
> eminently usable for them.

I still think most of those users would accept RC instead of GC. Why not
support RC in the language, and make all of this library noise redundant?
Library RC can't really optimise well, RC requires language support to
elide ref fiddling.