Escaping the Tyranny of the GC: std.rcstring, first blood

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 22 22:37:11 PDT 2014

On 9/22/14, 9:53 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 23 September 2014 14:41, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com <mailto:digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/22/14, 8:03 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>         I still think most of those users would accept RC instead of GC.
>         Why not
>         support RC in the language, and make all of this library noise
>         redundant?
>

>     A combo approach language + library delivers the most punch.
>

> How so? In what instances are complicated templates superior to a
> language RC type?

It just works out that way. I don't know exactly why. In fact I have an
idea why, but conveying it requires building a bunch of context.

>         Library RC can't really optimise well, RC requires language
>         support to
>         elide ref fiddling.
>

>     For class objects that's what's going to happen indeed.
>

> Where is this discussion? Last time I raised it, it was fiercely shut
> down and dismissed.

Consider yourself vindicated! (Not really, the design will be different
from what you asked.) The relevant discussion is entitled "RFC:
reference counted Throwable", and you've already participated to it :o).

Andrei