Escaping the Tyranny of the GC: std.rcstring, first blood

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 22 23:44:07 PDT 2014

23-Sep-2014 03:11, Andrei Alexandrescu пишет:
> On 9/22/14, 12:34 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> 22-Sep-2014 01:45, Ola Fosheim Grostad пишет:
>>>
>>> Caches are not a big deal when you wait for io.

>>> Because that is what you are competing with in the webspace.
>>
>> E-hm Go is hardly the top dog in the web space. Java and JVM crowd like
>> (Scala etc.) are apparently very sexy (and performant) in the web space.
>> They try to sell it as if it was all the rage though.
>>
>> IMO Go is hardly an interesting opponent to compete against. In pretty
>> much any use case I see Go is somewhere down to 4-th+ place to look at.
>
> I agree. It does have legs however. We should learn a few things from
> it, such as green threads, dependency management, networking libraries.

Well in short term that would mean..

green threads --> better support for fibers (see std.concurrency pull by
Sean)
dependency management --> package dub with dmd releases, use it to build
e.g.g Phobos? ;)
networking libraries -> there are plenty of good inspirational libraries
out there in different languages. vibe.d is cool, but we ought to
explore more and propagate stuff to std.net.*

> Also Go shows that good quality tooling makes a lot of a difference. And
> of course the main lesson is that templates are good to have :o).

Agreed.

--
Dmitry Olshansky