What are the worst parts of D?

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 23 11:32:39 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 23 September 2014 at 14:29:06 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> […] and a lack of attention paid to tightening up what we've
> already got and deprecating old stuff that no one wants any
> more.

This. The hypocritical fear of making breaking changes (the fact
that not all of them are bad has been brought up over and over
again by some of the corporate users) is crippling us, making D a
much more cluttered language than necessary.

Seriously, once somebody comes up with an automatic fixup tool,
there is hardly any generic argument left against language
changes. Sure, there will always be some cases where manual
intervention is still required, such as with string mixins. But
unless we have lost hope that the D community is still to grow
significantly, I don't see why the burden of proof should
automatically lie on the side of those in favor of cleaning up
cruft and semantical quirks.

Most D code is still to be written.

David