Any libunwind experts n da house?

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 23 14:47:11 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 23 September 2014 at 18:14:35 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 9/23/14, 11:03 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 23 September 2014 at 17:37:42 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> We need a libunwind expert to figure out a good approach for
>>> handling
>>> exceptions thrown by C++ code into D.
>>>
>>> Is anyone fluent with libunwind?
>>
>> More or less.
>>
>> What exactly are your goals? I thought the options we have are
>> fairly
>> clear, as discussed a few days ago. At least, Amaury and I
>> seemed to
>> agree (both of us worked on EH recently). The main question to
>> decide is
>> whether you want to go down the catch-C++-exceptions-in-D
>> rabbit hole.
>
> I think we should explore that rabbit hole. In the interim, a
> simpler solution may work: a C++ exception can only be caught
> from within C++ code. If no handler, the program terminates
> reliably. -- Andrei

Here is the other side of the rabbit hole you want to be
compatible with: libstdc++-v3//libsupc++/eh_personality.cc (from
GCC source tree, svn checkout svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk
SomeLocalDir ).

I think catching C++ exception may be realistic on the long run,
but having them unwind properly should probably be the goal on
the short run.