What are the worst parts of D?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 23 21:31:05 PDT 2014

On 9/23/2014 9:12 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 04:00:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 9/22/2014 10:16 AM, luminousone wrote:
>>> What is needed?
>>
>> The people who maintain large projects need to try them out with the beta
>> compilers and file any regressions.
>
> Question: What's the point of testing betas if the release will occur even with
> known regressions?

Framing the question that way implies that all regressions are equally
deleterious. But this isn't true at all - some regressions are disastrous, some
are just minor nits. Delaying the release has its costs, too, as it may fix a
number of serious problems.

It's a balancing act.

We shouldn't hamstring our ability to do what is best by conforming to arbitrary
rules whether they are right or wrong for the circumstances.

> Blocking a pull being merged would be much more efficient
> than dealing with a pull merged long ago that by release time is difficult to
> revert.

Sure. I would block pulls that produce known regressions. The earlier
regressions are known the better. But it is a bit unreasonable to expect large
project maintainers to rebuild and check for bugs every day. It's why we have a
beta test program.