What are the worst parts of D?

Thomas Mader via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 23 23:27:43 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 04:46:01 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Yes, the inference is very nice.  And I do see the use for each
> attribute.  It's just... when I look at a function and there's
> a line of attributes before the function declaration that have
> nothing to do with what the function actually does but rather
> with how it's implemented, it's just syntactic noise.  It's
> information for the compiler, not me as a user.  I hope we'll
> eventually get to the point where everything is inferred and
> the attributes disappear entirely.

What is the problem with complete automatic inference?
Wouldn't it be possible to deduce the flags in the bottom up
direction of a function call hierarchy?
I guess it is possible for the compiler to see the right choice
of flags for a function, which doesn't call other functions. E.g.
make it @safe if possible, @nogc if possible and so on.
Then it should process function after function until all
functions are done.

Thomas