What are the worst parts of D?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 02:07:18 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 05:44:15 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:59:53 -0700
> Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I understand quite thoroughly why c++ support is a big win
> i believe it's not.
>
> so-called "enterprise" will not choose D for many reasons, and
> "c++
> interop" is on the bottom of the list.
>
> seasoned c++ developer will not migrate to D for many reasons
> (or he
> already did that, but then he is not c++ developer anymore),
> and "c++
> interop" is not on the top of the list, not even near the top.
>
> all that gory efforts aimed to "c++ interop" will bring three
> and a
> half more users. there will be NO massive migration due to
> "better c++
> interop". yet this feature is on the top of the list now. i'm
> sad.
>
> seems that i (we?) have no choice except to wait until people
> will get
> enough of c++ games and will became focused on D again. porting
> and
> merging CDGC is much better target which help people already
> using D,
> but... but imaginary "future adopters" seems to be the highest
> priority. too bad that they will never arrive.

With the current move of having of more support for native code
as part of the standard toolchains for Java (SubstrateVM,
Sumatra, Valhalla, Panama) and .NET compilers (MDIL, .NET Native,
RyuJIT all using the Visual C++ backend).

The beloved enterprise has lots of reasons to stay with the
current tooling when seeking performance.

--
Paulo