What are the worst parts of D?

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 10:09:42 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 14:56:11 UTC, Don wrote:

> I agree completely. I would say that the #1 problem in D is the
> paranoid fear of breaking backwards compatibility. I said that
> in my 2013 talk. It is still true today.
>
> Sociomantic says, PLEASE BREAK OUR CODE! Get rid of the old
> design bugs while we still can.
>
> For example: We agreed *years* ago to remove the NCEG
> operators. Why haven't they been removed yet?
>
> As I said earlier in the year, one of the biggest ever breaking
> changes was the fix for array stomping, but it wasn't even
> recognized as a breaking change!
> Breaking changes happen all the time, and the ones that break
> noisily are really not a problem.
>
> "Most D code is yet to be written."
>
>> What change in particular?
>
> I've got a nasty feeling that you misread what he wrote. Every
> time we say, "breaking changes are good", you seem to hear
> "breaking changes are bad"!
>
> The existing D corporate users are still sympathetic to
> breaking changes. We are giving the language an extraordinary
> opportunity. And it's incredibly frustrating to watch that
> opportunity being wasted due to paranoia.
>
> We are holding the door open. But we can't hold it open
> forever, the more corporate users we get, the harder it becomes.
> Break our code TODAY.
>
> "Most D code is yet to be written."

As the CTO of a company having the main selling products "powered
by D", I totally agree with Don: break our code TODAY.

We are aiding ALS impaired people to have a better life with D
products, so I can tell that we definitely care about SW
quality...
But a planned breaking change, that improves the language
overall, will always be welcomed here in SR Labs.

---
/Paolo