What are the worst parts of D?

Cliff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 12:36:05 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 19:26:46 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2014-09-24 12:16, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of a non-trivial project that didn't have
>> constant
>> breakage of its build system. All kinds of reasons - add a
>> file, forget
>> to add it to the manifest. Change the file contents, neglect
>> to update
>> dependencies. Add new dependencies on some script, script
>> fails to run
>> on one configuration. And on and on.
>
> Again, if changing the file contents breaks the build system
> you're doing it very, very wrong.

People do it very, very wrong all the time - that's the problem
:)  Build systems are felt by most developers to be a tax they
have to pay to do what they want to do, which is write code and
solve non-build-related problems.  Unfortunately, build
engineering is effectively a specialty of its own when you step
outside the most trivial of systems.  It's really no surprise how
few people can get it right - most people can't even agree on
what a build system is supposed to do...