Analysis of programming languages on Rosetta

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 12:38:36 PDT 2014

Joakim:

> I wonder why they found Haskell to be so slow, I thought it was
> compiled.

The first reason for the performance of programs is how much care
the programmer has to write a fast program, secondly how good the
chosen algorithms are, and only then at a third place there are
language implementations.

So the short answer to your question is that most of the Haskell
programs of Rosettacode are not written for performance. The
corollary is that performance comparison is silly/bogus.

Often the faster programs of Rosettacode are in... guess a
language? Yes, in D. Because I have written also performance
conscious D entries (sometimes I have added various D solutions,
at various levels of performance, succinctness, safety &
correctness).

Bye,
bearophile