What are the worst parts of D?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 15:46:24 PDT 2014

On 9/24/14, 3:18 PM, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 21:12:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 9/24/14, 1:10 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> That's unfortunate indeed. I wish I could inspire them as to how cool a
>>> properly-done build system can be.
>> [snip]
>>
>> That's all nice. However: (1) the truth is there's no clear modern
>> build tool that has "won" over make; oh there's plenty of them, but
>> each has its own quirks that makes it tenuous to use; (2) any build
>> system for a project of nontrivial size needs a person/team minding it
>> - never saw such a thing as it's just all automated and it works; (3)
>> especially if the build system is not that familiar, the role of the
>> build czar is all the more important.
>>
>> So the reality is quite a bit more complicated than the shiny city on
>> a hill you describe.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> It depends on who you ask, I guess. I don't know what the definition of
> "has won" here is.

Simple: ask 10 random engineers "we need a build system". There's no
dominant answer. Well except maybe for make :o). Case in point: we have
two at Facebook, both created in house.

But even that's beside the point. The plea here implies D devs are
enamored with make and won't change their ways. Not at all! If there
were a better thing with a strong champion, yay to that. But we can't be
volunteered to use the build system that somebody else likes.

Andrei