What are the worst parts of D?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 18:09:27 PDT 2014

On 9/24/2014 12:26 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-09-24 12:16, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of a non-trivial project that didn't have constant
>> breakage of its build system. All kinds of reasons - add a file, forget
>> to add it to the manifest. Change the file contents, neglect to update
>> dependencies. Add new dependencies on some script, script fails to run
>> on one configuration. And on and on.
>
> Again, if changing the file contents breaks the build system you're doing it
> very, very wrong.

What matters is if the autotester imports X's large project, then it must
somehow import whatever X's build system is, for better or worse.

And I guarantee it will break constantly.

Analogously, you and I know how to write code correctly (as does everyone else).
But I guarantee that you and I are mistaken about that, and we don't write
perfect code, and it breaks.

Just like the build systems.