Escaping the Tyranny of the GC: std.rcstring, first blood

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 04:08:30 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 25 September 2014 at 02:16:32 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 25 September 2014 08:54, Andrei Alexandrescu via
> Digitalmars-d
>>> It's what I use now, and it's as good at C++, but we can do
>>> much
>>> better than that.
>>

>> D's copy semantics are different from C++'s.
>
> I don't see how that influences this.

For one, it allows to turn copy+destruction into a move, e.g. for
tail calls.

>>> I'm also not convinced meaningful refcounting can be
>>> implemented
>>> before we have scope(T) working properly. I think we should be
>>> addressing that first.
>>

>> That may as well be true.
>
> Shall we declare this a decisive area of development and start
> a conversation?
> I particularly liked the proposal in the other thread, until it
> transformed into a storage class.

Please note that I'm not opposed to turn it back into a type
modifier. I just don't understand your problems enough to form an
opinion on it, and as long as that is the case, it's not a good
idea to switch it back and forth, especially since it brings
along its own problems. Please post a create example where a
storage class fails (in the other thread).