What are the worst parts of D?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 07:23:30 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 03:47:22PM +0200, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 25/09/14 08:39, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> >But even then, I *did* run into the problem of non-reproducible
> >builds with dmd. So there's still a blemish there. :-P  Makes me want
> >to alias `make` to `make clean; make` just for this alone
>
> I don't think the "clean" action can be completely excluded. I
> recently tried to build a project, without running "clean", and got
> some unexpected errors. Then I remembered I had just installed a new
> version of the compiler.
[...]

That's the hallmark of make-based projects. SCons projects, OTOH, almost
never needs to do that (except if you totally screwed up your SCons
scripts). The super-complicated SCons script that I described in another
post? I don't even remember that last *year* when I had to do the
equivalent of a clean. I've been updating, branching, merging the
workspace for years now, and it Just Builds -- correctly at that.

Famous last words: I *think* this will work...