What are the worst parts of D?

Cliff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 10:47:13 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 25 September 2014 at 17:42:09 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2014-09-25 16:23, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> That's the hallmark of make-based projects.
>
> This was Ninja actually. But how would the build system know
> I've updated the compiler?

The compiler is an input to the build rule.  Consider the rule:

build: $(CC) my.c -o my.o

what are the dependencies for the rule "build"?

my.c obviously.  Anything the compiler accesses during the
compilation of my.c.  And *the compiler itself*, referenced here
as $(CC).  From a dependency management standpoint, executables
are not special except as running them leads to the discovery of
more dependencies than may be statically specified.