[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 12:59:24 PDT 2014

On 9/25/2014 3:46 AM, currysoup wrote:
> Would just like to remind you all that he's trying to foster conversation rather
> than declare "this is the most perfect language ever". A lot of his ideas don't
> hold water in their current form but I'm sure D wasn't designed in a 2 hour live
> stream :). I'm personally really excited at the prospect of some momentum in a
> language designed specifically for games engineers.

It is great to have a conversation. It's good to revisit assumptions about what
a good language should be. Although I don't agree with him, I thought that it
was great that he questioned the value of RAII.

But I think it's a waste of time to develop a new language that has 98% overlap
with existing ones, like if I proposed a language just like C but with member
functions.