What are the worst parts of D?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 14:19:29 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 25 September 2014 at 21:03:53 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/25/2014 12:58 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:40:28PM -0700, Walter Bright via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> On 9/25/2014 4:08 AM, Don wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Top of my list would be the auto-decoding behavior of
>>> std.array.front() on character arrays. Every time I'm faced
>>> with that
>>> I want to throw a chair through the window.
>>
>> LOL... now I'm genuinely curious what's Andrei's comment on
>> this. :-P
>> Last I heard, Andrei was against removing autodecoding.
>
> I have yet to completely convince Andrei that autodecoding is a
> bad idea :-(

I think it should just refuse to work on char[], wchar[] and
dchar[]. Instead, byCodeUnit, byCodePoint (which already exist)
would be required. This way, users would need to make a conscious
decision, and there would be no surprises and no negative
performance impact.