What are the worst parts of D?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 21:04:07 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 08:11:02PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9/25/2014 2:47 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >Not a bad idea. If we do it right, we could (mostly) avoid user
> >outrage.  E.g., start with a "soft deprecation" (a compile-time
> >message, but not an actual warning, to the effect that byCodeUnit /
> >byCodePoint should be used with strings from now on), then a warning,
> >then an actual deprecation, then remove autodecoding code from Phobos
> >algorithms (leaving only byCodePoint for those who still want
> >autodecoding).
>
> Consider this PR:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2423
>
> which is blocked because several people do not agree with using
> byCodeunit.

Actually, several committers have already agreed that this particular PR
shouldn't be blocked pending the decision whether to autodecode or not.
What's actually blocking it right now, is that it calls stripExtension,
which only works with arrays, not general ranges.  (Speaking of which,
thanks for reminding me that I need to work on that.  :-P)

The fact that anyone still uses AOL shows that even the presence of options doesn't stop some people from picking the pessimal one. - Mike Ellis