What are the worst parts of D?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 21:39:40 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:34:30PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9/25/2014 9:12 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> >"Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:m02lt5$2hg4$1 at digitalmars.com...
> >
> >>I should add that this impasse has COMPLETELY stalled changes to
> >>Phobos to remove dependency on the GC.
> >
> >Maybe it would be more successful if it didn't try to do both at
> >once.
>
> What would the 3rd version of setExtension be named, then?

I think that PR, and the others slated to follow it, should just merge
with autodecoding in conformance to the rest of Phobos right now,
independently of however the decision on the autodecoding issue will
turn out. If we do decide eventually to get rid of autodecoding, we're
gonna have to rewrite much of Phobos anyway, so it's not as though
merging PRs now is going to make it significantly worse. I don't see why
the entire burden of deciding upon autodecoding should rest upon a PR
that merely introduces a new string function.

Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because that would also stop them from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn