[OT] Re: D mention on developer.apple.com

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 26 11:34:05 PDT 2014

On 9/26/14 6:48 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Friday, 26 September 2014 at 01:31:06 UTC, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> Maybe this will be of interest to someone. D was mentioned on the
>> official Swift Blog today:
>>
>>> Swift borrows a clever feature from the D language: these identifiers
>>> expand to the location of the caller when evaluated in a default
>>> argument list.
>>
>> -- Building assert() in Swift, Part 2: __FILE__ and __LINE__
>> <https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=15>
>
> Funny, this is one feature I would never recognize as a distinct feature
> at all :)

It's really funny how the simplest easiest things, if they solve a
common nuisance problem, are treated like amazing inventions. We have a
similar situation for one product in our company. We make walk-in cooler
controls. After installing our controls, we started getting calls that
the coolers were iced up. The problem usually turned out to be that a
person who was loading the cooler shut off the evaporator fans (the fans
that blow air across the refrigerant coils), and forgot to turn them
back on. This results in refrigerant running through the coils, but
since air is a great insulator, it did not consume any heat from the
cooler. Condensation builds up on the coils and turns into ice, which is
an even better insulator :)

Now, the people doing this had been doing this long before we installed
our controls. If you want to know why, just look up wind chill :)

The solution we came up with was simple and stupid: add a button that
shut off the fans for 10 minutes.

That one feature is raved about time and again by all our customers.
It's the dumbest thing, but it makes things so much more pleasant that
people now complain if the controller needs service because they "can't
live without the shutdown button!"

And to think we put it in to save service calls :)

-Steve