[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 27 14:51:14 PDT 2014

On 9/27/2014 9:35 AM, ponce wrote:
> The sequel:
>
> A Programming Language for Games, talk #2
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nc68IdNKdg

Yeah, I watched it. He advocates:

* pure functions

* local functions

* local functions with the same syntax as global functions

* safety which defaults to off

All of which D does right now.

The only interesting thing is he describes a way that functions (and blocks) can
specify what global data they access, and then have the compiler issue errors
for accessing any other global data. He has a way to do that both locally and
transitively.

However, the same effect can be achieved via pure annotations and passing the
globals needed by reference as function parameters.

Based on his talks about what he wants in a language, I infer he's not looked at
D beyond "D has a GC, can't use it".