Creeping Bloat in Phobos

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 27 16:31:21 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:00:16PM +0000, bearophile via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> H. S. Teoh:
>
> >If we can get Andrei on board, I'm all for killing off autodecoding.
>
> Killing auto-decoding for std.algorithm functions will break most of
> my D2 code... perhaps we can do that in a D3 language.
[...]

Well, obviously it's not going to be done in a careless, drastic way!

There will be a proper migration path and deprecation cycle. We already
have byCodeUnit and byCodePoint, and the first step is probably to
migrate towards requiring usage of one or the other for iterating over
strings, and only once all code is using them, we will get rid of
autodecoding (the job now being done by byCodePoint). Then, the final
step would be to allow the direct use of strings in iteration constructs
again, but this time without autodecoding by default. Of course,
.byCodePoint will still be available for code that needs to use it.

Ph.D. = Permanent head Damage