Possible quick win in GC?

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 05:02:38 PDT 2014

On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 11:36:51 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:

> So, (does anyone know) has this technique been discarded for D
> or is it 'just' a matter of the resources to do it?

 From the literature on this topic I remember attempts for
automatic region inference mostly failed: it lead to some small
regions here and there that didn't affect anything much and then
one huge region where most of the data landed, requiring a
full-blown GC inside that big region. Making it work in D, where
everything can be mutated by anything and any type system wall is
a cast() away from breaking, seems virtually impossible.