RFC: moving forward with @nogc Phobos

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 05:29:32 PDT 2014

Any assumption that library code can go away with some set of
pre-defined allocation strategies is crap. This whole discussion
was about how important it is to move allocation decisions to
user code (ranges are just one tool to achieve that, Don has been
presenting examples of how we do that with plain arrays in DConf
2014 talk).

In that regard allocators + ranges are still the way to go in my
opinion. Yes, sometimes those result in very hard to use API -
providing GC-heavy but friendly alternatives for those shouldn't
do any harm. But in general full decoupling of algorithms from
allocations is necessary. If that makes D poor cousin of C++ we
may have a learn few tricks from C++.