Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 12:44:14 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Checked exceptions are good in theory but they failed utterly in
> Java.  I'm not interested in seeing them in D.

I've heard this before, but have not seen a reasonable argument as to why
they are a failure.  Last time this was discussed a link to a blog was
provided, with lots of discussion there - which as far as I could tell
boiled down to 'catching exceptions is ugly, and people just do the wrong
thing anyway which is ugly when you have checked exceptions.'

I am unlucky enough to write Java all day, and from my standpoint checked
exceptions are a huge win.  There are certain edges which can catch you,
but they are immensely useful in developing robust programs.  Basically
checked exceptions -> recoverable problems, unchecked ->
unrecoverable/programming errors (like asserts or memory errors).

Note I am not advocating adding checked exceptions to D (though I would
like it).  Point is to acknowledge that there are different kinds of
exceptions, and an exception for one part of the code may not be a problem
for the bit that invokes it.