Local functions infer attributes?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 17:55:41 PDT 2014

On 30 September 2014 10:44, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 September 2014 at 00:33:08 UTC, Manu via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> I don't see ref that way at all. I see it so much simpler than that:
>> ref is a type of pointer. It's effectively T(immutable(*)).
>> It's uses are emergent from what it is; a good way to pass big things
>> around in argument lists, or share references to a single instance of
>> something.
>

> "I don't agree with your diagnostic. I'm suing ref conforming of
> cases 2 and 3 of your diagnostic".
>
> That sounds like a self defeating statement.

... huh?

I'm not saying your analysis of use cases are false, I'm just saying
that I felt the reasoning is backwards, and possibly conceptually
limiting. I think the use cases should be emergent of the definition,
not that the definition should be defined by (read: limited to) the
typical uses.

You said ref conflated several meanings, I'm just framing it
differently. I don't think it conflates them, I think they're all good
uses of the tool.