So what exactly is coming with extended C++ support?

Szymon Gatner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 01:48:18 PDT 2014

On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 20:15:06 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 10:00:27 UTC, Szymon Gatner
> wrote:
>

> Is that all it would take? Do you also need a GC-free standard
> library, which seems to be the need of all the others saying
> "do this and I'll switch from C++"? Are the tools good enough?

Considered how many games (and I don't mean indie anymore, but
for example Blizzard's Heartstone) are now created in Unity which
uses not only GC but runs in Mono I am very skeptical of anybody
claiming GC is a no-go for games. - Especially- that native
executable is being built in case of D.

I realize AAA's have have their reasons against GC i but in that
case one should probably just get UE4 license anyway.

Tooling is acceptable for me tbh. Coming from C++ I don't have
high expectations anyway. The only good debugger (for C++) is
VC++ and so far I'v had surprisingly good experience with VisualD
and mixed C++/D application. Stepping into function (between
language boundries!) just works. Viewing variable values works
properly too whether I in on *.cpp or .d file atm. Overall, can't
complain too much especially I am getting all those goodies for
free ;)

Anyway, I accept that I would be an early adopter and I am OK
with some cons that come with it as I see more gains overall.

Btw, I think D is THE language to implement gameplay. Compilation
times make it on par with scripting languages and since it
becomes compiled there are no JIT restrictions on iOS for
example. In our case AI will get rewritten from C++/Lua to D as
soon as it is practical which s not just yet unfortunately.

> I don't think anyone is saying C++ interop is unimportant.
> There are a lot of us already using the language and we don't
> think C++ interop is the only thing that has value. More
> important IMO would be releasing a compiler without a bunch of
> regressions. D is a lot more than a C++ replacement for
> Facebook or video game developers.

Don't get me wrong, I too want all those issue resolved, just
saying for myself that (lack) of those features blocks us from
adopting at all. And after we're on board I suspect I will join
some other unhappy camp :P But for now we can't even get there.