So what exactly is coming with extended C++ support?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 02:32:03 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 30 September 2014 at 08:48:19 UTC, Szymon Gatner
wrote:
> On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 20:15:06 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 10:00:27 UTC, Szymon Gatner
>> wrote:
>>

>> Is that all it would take? Do you also need a GC-free standard
>> library, which seems to be the need of all the others saying
>> "do this and I'll switch from C++"? Are the tools good enough?
>
> Considered how many games (and I don't mean indie anymore, but
> for example Blizzard's Heartstone) are now created in Unity
> which uses not only GC but runs in Mono I am very skeptical of
> anybody claiming GC is a no-go for games. - Especially- that
> native executable is being built in case of D.

Very interesting.

> I realize AAA's have have their reasons against GC i but in
> that case one should probably just get UE4 license anyway.
>
> Tooling is acceptable for me tbh. Coming from C++ I don't have
> high expectations anyway. The only good debugger (for C++) is
> VC++ and so far I'v had surprisingly good experience with
> VisualD and mixed C++/D application. Stepping into function
> (between language boundries!) just works. Viewing variable
> values works properly too whether I in on *.cpp or .d file atm.
> Overall, can't complain too much especially I am getting all
> those goodies for free ;)
>
> Anyway, I accept that I would be an early adopter and I am OK
> with some cons that come with it as I see more gains overall.
>
> Btw, I think D is THE language to implement gameplay.
> Compilation times make it on par with scripting languages and
> since it becomes compiled there are no JIT restrictions on iOS
> for example. In our case AI will get rewritten from C++/Lua to
> D as soon as it is practical which s not just yet unfortunately.

It's good to hear that. Maybe you could write a short article
about that once you've moved to D. "Porting games to D" or
something like that. With D you can develop fast due to short
compilation times, that's important for testing and prototyping.

iOS/ARM are very important. What's the latest state of affairs? I
know some progress has been made but it has been off my radar for
a month or two now.