RFC: moving forward with @nogc Phobos

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 04:24:56 PDT 2014

Am Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:04:03 -0700
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> On 9/29/14, 10:16 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> > Personally, I would go just for (b) with compiler support for
> > increment/decrement removal, as I think it will be too complex having to
> > support everything and this will complicate all libraries.
>
> Compiler already knows (after inlining) that ++i and --i cancel each
> other, so we should be in good shape there. -- Andrei

That helps with very small, inlined functions until Marc
Schütz's work on borrowed pointers makes it redundant by
unifying scoped copies of GC, RC and stack pointers.
In any case inc/dec elision is an optimization and and not an
enabling feature. It sure is on the radar and can be improved
later on.

--
Marco