So what exactly is coming with extended C++ support?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 04:23:16 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 30 September 2014 at 08:48:19 UTC, Szymon Gatner
wrote:
> On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 20:15:06 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 10:00:27 UTC, Szymon Gatner
>> wrote:
>>

>> Is that all it would take? Do you also need a GC-free standard
>> library, which seems to be the need of all the others saying
>> "do this and I'll switch from C++"? Are the tools good enough?
>
> Considered how many games (and I don't mean indie anymore, but
> for example Blizzard's Heartstone) are now created in Unity
> which uses not only GC but runs in Mono I am very skeptical of
> anybody claiming GC is a no-go for games. - Especially- that
> native executable is being built in case of D.

BlueByte latest games are done in Flash.

There is an article on the German magazine Making Games about
their experience switching from being hardcore C++ guys into the
world of Flash and Stage3D.

> I realize AAA's have have their reasons against GC i but in
> that case one should probably just get UE4 license anyway.

Which also offers a C++ GC API, although quite limited from what
I have read.

Sometimes it seems the whole Assembly vs C vs Pascal, followed by
C vs C++ performance discussions all over again.

--
Paulo