Before we implement SDL package format for DUB

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 05:15:19 PDT 2014

On 25/08/2014 17:40, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been working on SDL support for DUB and wanted to get some people's
> opinions on whether we should really use SDL.  I've posted my thoughts
> here:
> http://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.dub/thread/2263/

My opinion on this subject had been a preference that we use an
extension to JSON (something like lenient JSON, for example:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/util/JsonReader.html#setLenient%28boolean%29
)
I don't like SDL much (because it's not that well-known, is whitespace
sensitive, and other reasons). But that's mostly a personal preference,
SDL is not a bad choice either.

Still, when I read that ASON was being developed, as a possible
alternative, it looked good, since ASON seemed similar to lenient-JSON.
But then things took a turn to the worse. Nameless fields, because it
makes the parsing application specific, is a bad idea. The data format
should be universal, not application specific. The table feature is
another thing I think is unnecessary, we should try to the keep the data
format fairly simple (there's only a few things over plain JSON that I
think are worth improving). But I think the real dealbreaker is being
application specific. Given this, I would prefer even SDL to ASON.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros