How to build phobos docs for dlang.org

Mark Isaacson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 23:29:45 PDT 2014

I am in the process of working on some documentation improvements
for Phobos. I am running into an issue while testing. Namely, I
do not know how to build the ddocs for Phobos in quite the way
that dlang.org does.

I can build them with: posix.mak -f DMD=TheRightOne html

But everything is poorly formatted, and more importantly, there's
some wizardry going on to make std.container look like one file
on dlang.org and I therefore cannot find out how to preview my
changes to the several files that actually compose that package.
In other words, if I go to the page for std_string.html, it works
perfectly, but if I try go to std_container.html, it does not
exist because there is no container.d file.

If I build dlang.org separately, I cannot follow the library
reference link. The makefile for dlang.org includes rules for
phobos-release and phobos-prerelease, but as far as I can tell,
this does not generate the content I need (or I am not able to
easily find it). If I copy the fully-built phobos html build into
dlang.org/web/phobos then I can see the pages with the familiar
dlang.org color scheme and layouts, but std_container.html still
does not exist, and that is my fundamental problem.

This should really be documented somewhere. If nowhere else, this
file seems appropriate:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

I hereby volunteer to document whatever answer I am given.