operators in language reference

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 1 03:53:56 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 1 April 2015 at 10:39:01 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 April 2015 at 10:06:20 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
> Scherkl wrote:
>> There is a gapping hole in the language reference: The
>> operators are nowhere described.
>> Ok, most of them are the same as in C and C++, but there are
>> subtle differences (e.g. different precedence) and some are
>> new (the floating point comparisons have their own chapter and
>> they are about to beeing deprecated, but what about >>>, ^^,
>> ^^=, =>, ., is, in ?).
>> And even if they where all the same as in C or C++, not
>> everybody comes from those languages and D should be
>> understandable without such kind of background knowledge, I
>> think.
>
> http://dlang.org/expression.html
This describes what operators (tokens) exist and what operands
they can take
(form a grammar point of view), but not what they do. You may say
that's obvious, but I know languages where even "+" doesn't do
what one might expect.

> and related http://dlang.org/operatoroverloading.html
Yes, this goes further into details what operands an operator
take (especially if it is only one or two or more operands), but
not what they do - in this chapter this is especially useless, as
if I overload an operator, it will do whatever I want it to do
even if it is strange as hell. So this is not the right place to
describe the default behaviour of an operator (but ok, It should
refer to that place --- if only there would be one!).